Russian 24-hour watch Raketa ARCTIC North Pole-1 PAPANIN (white, luminescent)
Russian 24-hour watch ARCTIC North Pole-1 PAPANIN (white, luminescent)
Russian mechanical movement "Raketa" with 19 ruby jewels. Hand-winding. 24-hour dial. Shock-proof balance. Central second hand. Power reserve 44 hours. Size: 40 x 39 x 12 mm. Chrome plated case, stainless steel back cover. Mineral glass. Luminescent hands and indexes. Comes with leather band (18 mm). Wooden box. Brand new watch. Made in Russia.
North Pole-1 was the first Soviet manned drifting station in the Arctic Ocean, primarily used for research.
North Pole-1 was established on May 21, 1937, and officially opened on June 6, some 20 kilometres (12 mi) from the North Pole by the expedition into the high latitudes Sever-1, led by Otto Schmidt. The expedition had been airlifted by aviation units under the command of Mark Shevelev. "NP-1" operated for 9 months, during which the ice floe travelled 2,850 kilometres (1,770 mi). The commander of the station was Ivan Papanin. On February 19, 1938 the Soviet ice breakers Taimyr and Murman took four polar explorers off the station close to the eastern coast of Greenland. They arrived in Leningrad on March 15 on board the icebreaker Yermak.
The expedition members, hydrobiologist Pyotr Shirshov, geophysicist Yevgeny Fyodorov, radioman Ernst Krenkel, and the commander Ivan Papanin, were awarded the Hero of the Soviet Union title.